Wikipedia Sucks! (and so do its critics)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts on Hasten the Day

Go down

Random Thoughts on Hasten the Day Empty Random Thoughts on Hasten the Day

Post by Soham321 Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 pm

1. There is a term used in the WP critics community called 'Hasten the Day (HTD)'. This term is open to interpretation. My interpretation is that it refers to the day when WP/WM will cease to have the current influence and power they enjoy.

2. My belief is that it is likely that WP/WM will continue to exist when the EF (encyclopedia of the future) comes along to eventually replace WP. WP will then become something like Alta Vista after Google came along.

3. I believe that interacting with WP/WM (through their mailing lists for example) is a futile approach; it will lead to no change except perhaps some cosmetic modifications for show. The soul of WP/WM will continue to remain in place.

4. Education and knowledge dissemination of how WP/WM operate is an effective long-term approach to HTD. And, really, in the long run WP/WM have no future. People are bound to wisen up. But it must not be forgotten that mainstream media seems to be pro-WP/WM for the most part. That is why we see the spectacle of an article about WP in the New York Times ( www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/opinion/can-wikipedia-survive.html ) where it is not identified that the article writer is in fact a WP Admin ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Fuzheado ). The last sentence of this article contains these words which are really propaganda in my opinion: "No effort in history has gotten so much information at so little cost into the hands of so many — a feat made all the more remarkable by the absence of profit and owners. In an age of Internet giants, this most selfless of websites is worth saving."

5. I think getting every WP article to display prominently the disclaimer that anything the reader is reading on this page can be inaccurate, incorrect, or false is the way to go. There could even be a box on every WP article, containing this disclaimer, which the user would have to click in order to read the article. How this will be done is something that needs to be figured out. Two obvious ways are through legislation or through the law courts. (WP/WM will never do this on their own because it will lead to a loss of their influence and power.) Of the two methods, I would prefer the legislation route. The law courts route will probably be very messy and there is no certainty of the outcome.

6. My definition of HTD is either WP/WM shuts down for good; or else (and what i think likely will happen) WP/WM will continue to exist but with a loss of their current influence due to the disclaimers described in point 5.

7. I predict that WP/WM will continue to exist in parallel with the Encyclopedia of the Future (EF) for some time. The EF will eventually replace WP/WM as the go-to encyclopedia in much the same way that google replaced alta vista as the go-to search engine.

Soham321

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts on Hasten the Day Empty Re: Random Thoughts on Hasten the Day

Post by Soham321 Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:13 pm

This is a fine article on the relationship between google and wikipedia: http://newslines.org/blog/google-and-wikipedia-best-friends-forever/

with such a powerful ally, the current monopoly WP enjoys will probably continue for a long time. But history tells us that this won't last forever. And some game changer could occur due to which the monopoly ends sooner than expected.

Soham321

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum