Wikipedia Sucks! (and so do its critics)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larry Sanger: "The inmates started running the asylum"

Go down

Larry Sanger: "The inmates started running the asylum" Empty Larry Sanger: "The inmates started running the asylum"

Post by Soham321 Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:28 pm

All quotes from https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wikipedias-co-founder-is-wikipedias-biggest-critic-511

1. It's really hard to lay out what I think is the single biggest shortcoming of Wikipedia, especially if I want to do so in a way that is not going to make a lot of people pissed off at me. I don't want to be in the business of Wikipedia-bashing anymore. But I do think it has a root problem that's social. People that I would say are trolls sort of took over. The inmates started running the asylum.

The above is obviously Sanger's criticism of the Admins/Arbs/Crats who are currently running Wikipedia today.

2. One thing that I would have done, could have done, and should have done right away would be to create a process whereby articles were approved by experts. Some sort of tagging system, something lightweight, something Web 2.0, that would enable experts to bless certain articles as credible. But by the time the new recruits arrived—the anarchist crowd, as I called it at the time—all that stuff became deeply unpopular.

Because there wasn't anyone who was really leading the project, including Jimmy Wales—he just sort of let the thing run itself after I left—there needed to be a way for new ideas to be proposed and voted on by the community. And right now, I think Wikipedia is sort of stuck, and has long been stuck. They're very slow to adapt

In the above Sanger highlights the essential unreliability of the content in a WP article.

Soham321

Back to top Go down